Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 Reflection and New Year Hope

Well, it seems as if 2017 has come and gone just like that.  Unlike the last few years, I seem to have fallen way behind on blogging, birding, up-keeping my yearly bird list...and instead I have been adjusting to life outside of school.  This year I took a position with the Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve and it's been absolutely wonderful! 

Sunsets at Killbear
 I have begun the process of learning to say "no" and also creating a work-life balance. I have been working hard at exploring this amazing place that I have gotten to call home.  In fact,  this is the first time in YEARS, I've turned my computer off past 5pm most nights!

It's been a year of learning how to re-charge, live in the moment, and enjoy the people & experiences around me. Normally I do an end of the year bird list, however since I didn't keep one up, it wasn't exactly possible to do!  A fellow Twitter friend posted on her blog a wonderful list of year-end highlights and next year goals....and well, I loved it.  So this year, I have a different kind of list....a personal one that is full of highs, lows, and hope for 2018. 


2017 Highlights

-       Successfully defended my M.Sc degree!!
-       Moved to Parry Sound
-       Got a new job at the Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve and LOVE it.
     Got a new set of eyes! (Laser eye surgery) 
-       Gained a new community in Parry Sound Area through work and the gym
-       Got Engaged!



-       Co-founded an international natural history oriented book club on Twitter (Check it out at: https://bit.ly/BioLitClub
-       Had 3 book reviews published to the Canadian Field Naturalist 
-     Wrote and published guest blogs for Dispatches In The Field and Nature Canada’s Cats and Birds blog.

-       Spend the fall learning to care for myself, began going to the gym, setting a bedtime, and having hobbies.
-       Began interning for a taxidermist
-       Made my own reusable Christmas wrap

Taxidermy project - Mallard Duck Drake 
Low points:

-       Had my insomnia relapse
-       Major battles with imposter syndrome and burn out
-       Left friends in Peterborough and the community I had there.
-       Pushed blog to the side, no update since July...whoops!
-       Learning I had dietary restrictions and figuring out how to deal with them
-       Not getting to go home for Christmas
-    Didn't get out camping at all!

 

Goals for 2018

-       Write one blog per month
-       Submit two publications from my Masters Research by March
-       Volunteer for something non-environment related
-       Create a full CV for myself
-       Update personal website and keep it updated
-       Write a grant for a work-related project.
-       Complete one taxidermy mount every 2 months. 
-       Complete 4 sewing projects

Home made gift bags I made this Christmas, my first ever sewing project!

-       Send homemade cards to friends and family for birthdays.
-     Practice calling people out on being rude/mean when I normally would shy away
-       Give one presentation
-       Host something on Twitter
-       Read 10 books
-       Go Cross-Country skiing and snowshoeing at least 5x each
-       Go on two camping trips
-       Say “No” to five things I would normally say "yes" to.
-       Work from home once every 2 weeks
-       Visit my mom and dad in Chatham 4 times
-       Shoot my first buck
-       Continue going to the gym minimum 2x week
-       Have basic wedding plans (Venue, date, etc)
-       Submit photos into 3 photo contests

Parry Sound harbour in December



1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete