Sunday, July 9, 2017

Day Trip around Powassan


A day trip to North Bay the other weekend gave me the chance to do some more interior grassland birding! Our main stop was in and around Powassan where we took detours along some of the side roads to see what species we could find!  
Common Yellowthroat
We first stopped along a hedgerow, and were thrilled to see some breeding birds, none of them new for the year, but they are always a delight to see.  These included Chipping Sparrows, Common Yellowthroat, Blackburnian Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Grey Catbird and Brown Thrasher! We were also able to hear an Indigo Bunting somewhere in the distance.

Chipping Sparrow


Common Yellowthroat
Chestnut-sided Warbler






We carried on a little ways, away from the hedge row and more towards grassland/pasture, and found a number of other species!  In the distance we could still hear the Indigo Bunting and a family of Eastern Meadowlarks, Turkey Vultures, and a Flicker calling from the yard of a nearby house. I always feel like I am going to be able to see more in grasslands, but birds are so nicely tucked away that most of my birding has always been by ear. I was lucky to have Bobolinks perching on a nearby fence and also some very curious Savannah Sparrows!


Bobolink

Bobolink

Savannah Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

On our way home we ended up stopping for a number of turtles crossing the road, a common sight in the Georgian Bay area and especially common on roads that have no reptile fencing. If you see a turtle on the road, and it is safe to stop, please consider stopping and moving it across the road. It is important to move it in the direction that it is heading when you found it.   If you come across fencing that has been broken and needs repair, take GPS coordinates and call the township to report it. 

If Snapping Turtles make you a bit nervous, or if one is too large for you to carry, I suggest using a car mat.  You can pretty easily convince a Snapping Turtle onto it and then slide it across the road!
Painted Turtle

Snapping Turtle





















It seems like warm weather is finally here to stay this summer! Happy Naturing!

American Goldfinches

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete